Apprenticeship Levy myths

Payroll & Pensions Team

February 10 2021
The Apprenticeships (Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 2017 came into force on 31 March 2018 and brought into effect the public sector apprenticeship target. However, since it's introduction there have been a number of queries about what an Apprenticeship Levy actually covers. That's why we thought we'd address the education sector's most common myths...

20% off-the-job training is inflexible as it has to involve 1 day off a week

Off-the-job training does not have to involve one full day off a week. Training can be delivered in a way that suits both you and the provider and might consist of a large block of time during the summer or smaller blocks if online learning is more suitable.


Apprenticeships are only for young people

Anyone over the age of 16, living in England can apply. Apprenticeships are available in many job roles within Schools, including teaching assistants, business administration and ICT technicians although entry requirements vary.


Apprenticeships cannot be used for existing staff

As long as the apprenticeship is giving them new skills to enable them to achieve competence in their chosen occupation, they can be used to retrain or upskill existing staff.


Only employers that pay into the levy can afford an apprentice

The Government will pay for 90% of non-levy paying employer’s apprenticeships training and assessment in England. The remaining 10% is paid by the employer.


My levy funds won’t expire

Funds you don’t use will expire 24 months after they enter your account, but you can transfer up to 25% to other employers of your choice.


If you’re looking for advice about apprenticeships and appointing employees, or would like to learn more about our model policies, letters and training, please talk to us.

Combat absence management using your data

Accurately recording absences will allow you to identify trends and patterns for individuals and the school or trust as a whole – giving you the chance to explore the causes and consider plans to combat them.

Discover More
  • 2023-04-20 13:35:17

    2 min

    Sick pay entitlements for teachers and support staff

  • 2021-05-12 23:00:00

    3 min

    Unconscious bias and recruitment decisions

  • 2022-12-22 00:00:00

    2 min

    Let's talk menopause